EENA's action has produced spectacular results over the last year. Let us give an overview:
- The EENA Advisory Board was set up and has been producing concrete results in several areas.
- The European Commission created a specific internet site in all EU languages with the situtation of the 112 in all Member States.
- The EENA successfully organised the first 112 Awards Ceremony in June 2008 and the second 112 Awards Ceremony on the 10th of February 2009.
- The EENA set up the 112 Emergency services Staff Network (ESSN) the first Europe-wide network for people involved directly or indirectly with the 112 (first responders, managers, call takers, operators, paramedics, ambulance staff, fire-fighters, police officers, coastguards, search and rescue organisations, etc.).
- At the initiative of the European Parliament, the Czech Presidency of the Council and the European Commission signed a tripartite declaration establishing the 11th of Ferbruary as the official European 112 Day. In fact the Second European 112 Day was celebrated successfully on the 11th of February 2009.
- The EENA created the 112 Foundation to help the Commission with its efforts to make the 112 known to 100% of European Citizens. One of the first concrete results of the 112 Foundation was the 112 Anthem presented at the European Parliament by the singer Nara Noian (french lyrics by Jacques Mercier).
- The EENA is also working in a number of projects including:
- a taskforce on the European emergency number 112 within the European Standardisation Committee (CEN) Workshop 44 on Emergency Services Management (ESM);
- the REACH112 project (officially selected by the European Commission in October 2008) which intends to improve the accessibility of the EU emergency services for people with disabilities as well as person-to-person communication;
- the creation (after the election in June 2009) of a 112 and Emergency Services Intergroup in the European Parliament.
We will keep you informed through the specific internet sites on all developments. Please note that EENA is also present in Facebook.